Re: more progress fun

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 14:19:55 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 12 May 2003, George Comninos wrote:

> along the lines of getting progress updates, I was looking at the code for
> Curl_GetFTPResponse(), it looks like it calls select() with the timeout
> value and just waits

No, it uses a timeout value.

> it would really be nice to get progress updates during this time which
> would also give us the ability to easily cancel any operation which was
> hung waiting for a slow server.

Yes, I agree that it would be nice to add some progress meter calls on places
such as that function.

> I was about to just make my own version of the select() call which polls
> and calls the progress callback during the timeout time, but thought it
> might be better to have this functionality in curl anyway...this way users
> could put up their own 'waiting for server' message or whatever they like
> if the wait is greater than a few seconds.
>
> Daniel, what do you think?

I think Curl_GetFTPResponse() could be fixed to do 1-second timeouts and the
progress function/callback could be called each second...

Would you be able to produce a patch that does this?

www.enterpriselinuxforum.com