Re: DES for NTLM

From: Cris Bailiff <c.bailiff+curl_at_devsecure.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 17:10:02 +1000

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 09:01 am, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> Hi friends
>
> 3 persons have stepped forward and helped me by providing various kinds of
> NTLM support and I'm now progressing slowly on this task.
>
> It turns out I need DES encryption code for this to work, and since I
> failed when I searched, does anyone know of a DES source code I can use in
> libcurl

I was expecting most of the crypto for NTLM to be in the openssl libcrypto.

> (thus using a liberal enough license: no GPL and no annoucement
> BSD)?

Well, the openssl licence actually includes advertising clauses, but it's
already 'acceptable' for linking with curl.

> The code snippet in the NTLM "dissect" web page [1] seems to be using the
> API provided by libdes(?) which I believe is using the announce-clause BSD
> license...

I think the libdes API is applicable to a number of libdes implementations (it
matches the one in openssl quite well at first glance) - I remember the
man-pages (but no library, doh!) in my 'export' version of Solaris 2.5.

> I found a public domain DES source, but I truly don't know how
> the setup_des_key() function (in [1] again) should be adjusted to work with
> that code.

Well, I found DES_set_key and DES_set_odd_parity in the openssl0.9.7 documents
(I believe they were called des_set_key, etc. (lower case) in earlier
versions). There is also a DES_ecb_encrypt. Looks like a good match.

I guess the question is if it is acceptable to rely on/require openssl to be
able to support NTLM?

Cris