NTLM status

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 16:15:13 +0200 (CEST)

Howdy

(The "spec" is here: http://www.innovation.ch/java/ntlm.html)

Unfortunately, I walked straight into a wall. I've studied the "spec"
closely and I've attempted to write code that does exactly what the page says
works. I've committed the code and anyone is free to update from CVS and have
a go.

It doesn't work.

It is basicly three different packages that NTLM is about, type-1, type-2 and
type-3:

 1 - GET /page
 2 - 401-response gimme NTLM
 3 - GET /page + NTLM type-1
 4 - 401-response, NTLM type-2
 5 - GET /page + NTLM type-3
 6 - 200-response

When I used IE to access Mathias Axelsson's test server for NTLM, I captured
a type-1 message that is incompatible with what the "spec" says.

I captured a type-2 from the server that doesn't look like the spec says it
should look like, and in the end, it sent of a type-3 that doesn't look like
the spec describes it...

I'm a bit lost, but I'll try to continue swinging at different targets to see
if I get to understand things better...