Re: victory!

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 11:10:57 -0700

On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 08:44:50AM +0200, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> The question is, what would the default be? Today, libcurl uses Basic if you
> use HTTP and set username+password. That means we basicly have CURLAUTH_BASIC
> set by default today.
>
> I guess the only sensible thing that doesn't introduce weird side-effects to
> old users is to remain doing that as default, and allow a new option to set
> the ANY option.

I assume you're talking about the C API here. I would expect the
command-line client to default to negotiating the strongest encryption
possible, even if it takes an extra round trip. An option to specify one
(or maybe a list) of acceptable authentication methods could be used to
disable Basic for extra security or to eliminate a round trip in some cases.

>>> Dan