Re: 2 NTLM patches

From: Dan Winship <danw_at_ximian.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 10:17:24 -0400

> > Problem 2: Passing "" for the domain in the type 3 message won't work on all
> > servers for all users. (It only works if both the server has a default
> > domain set, and the user is a member of that domain.) The attached patch to
> > http_ntlm.c makes it parse usernames of the form "foo\bar" (or "foo/bar") as
> > domain="foo", username="bar". The reason I did it that way is because IIS
> > already parses usernames that way when using Basic auth
>
> Neat. But a question on this approach, does IIS also allow both kinds of
> slashes or why did your patch approve of both kinds? I was under the
> impression that Windows people use the backslash in that situation.

IIS also allows both kinds of slashes, and people use both. (In fact,
just about everywhere in Windows seems to allow both kinds of slashes.
Eg, IE will accept "http:\\foo.bar.com\baz\quux.html". Apparently
non-geeks tend to not notice that '/' and '\' are different characters
or something...)

-- Dan