Re: asynch name resolves

From: David Remahl <david_at_ittpoi.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 19:47:38 +0200

On söndag 20 juli 2003, at 01.01AM, Daniel Stenberg wrote:

>> The second is that it is UNIX based. In the last couple of days, we
>> ported
>> it to windows and the example programs are working (but we haven't
>> tested it
>> all that extensively yet).
>
> Ah, cool. Then I guess the only problem is the lack of IPv6 support,
> and we
> can surely survive not having that in a first step towards true and
> proper
> asynch resolves!
>
> I bet that we have a different problem as well, that you didn't
> mention here.
> This library probably only looks up names from DNS, but
> gethostbyname() and
> similar calls in the operating systems use more mechanisms than just
> DNS to
> find names and we need to support those as well... And that might take
> some
> platform dependent stuff. Or does ares take this into account already?

I guess the platform dependent layer includes ZeroConf / Rendezvous /
multicast DNS. I can (though I can't give a time frame right now)
contribute the platform specific code for supporting that on Mac OS X /
Darwin, should it be needed. I haven't researched how other platforms
implement zeroconf yet, though I know Mandrake and a few others do.
However, I don't think people on non-Mac platforms would expect curl to
do multicast DNS requests.

Ares didn't compile out-of-the-box on Darwin (10.3 beta), but did so
after adding the following include to most files:
<arpa/nameser_compat.h>. Since I'm not skilled in creating autoheaders
/ autoconfigs, I don't know how to fix it in a portable way.

/ Regards, David Remahl