Re: ares portability patch

From: Duncan Wilcox <duncan_at_mclink.it>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 22:14:48 +0200

> I haven't actually tested it on OS X yet,
> but I hope someone else will help me do that.

Here I'm on 10.2.6 with the latest developer tools update and gcc 3.3
(also tested with gcc 3.1), the first problem is with the provided
configure:

checking host system type... configure: error: can not guess host type;
you must specify one

Getting updated config.guess and config.sub fixes that.

A number of sources have this kind of problem:

ares_expand_name.c:82: error: `INDIR_MASK' undeclared (first use in
this function)

I'm not sure what the problem is, my system does have
/usr/include/arpa/nameser.h, but the guard HAVE_... around the #include
<arpa/nameser.h> is preventing inclusion, maybe there's some configure
problem (there's no config.h with HAVE_ stuff and no HAVE_ seems to be
passed on the command line).

Adding a -DHAVE_ARPA_NAMESER_H to the makefile gets it to compile
correctly.

In adig.c:

adig.c:105: `T_SRV' undeclared here (not in a function)

T_SRV is only defined in arpa/nameser_compat.h, but including it
instead or in addition to arpa/nameser.h causes more trouble. Don't
know what to make of this.

Commenting out the T_SRV stuff just to get it to build shows no other
problems.

Duncan