Re: patch to make drive letters work in file:// urls under Windows

From: Ufuk Kayserilioglu <groups_at_paralaus.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 22:29:27 +0300

Daniel Stenberg wrote:

>You could probably quite easily test these theories by pasting in some
>suitable file:// URLs into IE and Mozilla, both running on Windows. curl
>should get the same files they do.

OK, here are the results of a quick test I did on Windows XP:

Types of URLs tested:

[1] file://c:/test.txt
[2] file:///c:/test.txt
[3] file://localhost/c:/test.txt
[4] file://localhost//c:/test.txt
[5] file://c:/test dir/test.txt
[6] file:///c:/test%20dir/test.txt
[7] file://c:/test%20dir/test.txt

with the results:

IE:

[1] OK
[2] OK
[3] OK
[4] OK
[5] OK
[6] OK
[7] Fails (it seems that in the absence of the third slash the rest of
the URL isn't decoded in IE)

Firebird:

[1] OK
[2] OK
[3] OK
[4] Seems to fail. No page loaded but no error raised either.
[5] OK ( The URL is translated to the version with triple slash after
file:)
[6] OK
[7] OK ( Again the URL is translated to the form of [6])

Hope this can serve as a yardstick to your efforts.

BTW, I can't comprehend how a file:// URL can be relative. In the case
of IE, what would it be relative to? The application path, the working
directory, or what?

Sincerely,

Ufuk Kayserilioglu