Re: libcurl java interface on linux

From: Christian Beutenmueller <flatline_at_web.de>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 21:31:02 +0200

Am Fri, 08 Aug 2003 13:51:18 -0400
hat M Biswas <m.biswas_at_cleartool.com> kundgetan:
[SNIP]
> Of course, and I didn't expect you (or anyone) to tell people what to
> do. Nor could one reasonably expect them to do it anyway. The question
>
> (rephrased) is: does anyone know of a quantifiable reason to prefer
> one over the other? Because the general rule of Java is that, all
> things being equal, JNI is deprecated. Ergo all things must not be
> equal. So what are they? I guess Christian would be the logical person
> to know the answer.
>
> > Again, I'm not a java guy so I may be totally out of my league here.
> > Feel free to ignore me.
>
> I certainly don't want to ignore you, and I really am not trying to
> get into a finger-pointing exercise. It's just that the existence of
> your "old" Java binding might be explainable as (a) a proof of concept
> or (b) the lack of a pure-Java alternative at the time. The news that
> someone is working on a new binding, however, argues that either (a)
> he's unaware of HttpClient or (b) libcurl offers something that it
> doesn't. In the latter case, it would be nice to know what those
> features are.
Well I have some reasons:
 - AFAIK (correct me if I'm wrong) the Jakarta HTTP Client is only a
HTTP(S) client. It doesn't support ftp and ldap. Since in long terms I'm
planning some software that would need at least ftp (and portable ftp
coding is hell!) I have a reason for cURL.
 - Also I was interested in the JNI when i first saw it (also from the
viewpoint of C) and was searching for something to get started with the
JNI. The cURL lib is IMHO a nearly perfect starting point, since it has
a very clear C interface and is quite powerfull.
 - A friend of mine currently uses the first cURL java binding (Tomcat
on a ressource _limited_ dedicated server) and I promised him to get a
stable java binding for his project. (Besides Daniel I think there is a
bug in your code, that the finalize method is called twice under some
circumstances).
 - Do something useful.

That's all. I suppose.

cu Christian
PS: Speed isn't the thing. It doesn't matter on file transfers under
normal conditions.

--
North American Terror Organization
Bringing war to the world since the 1950s!