Re: non-transfering operations with FTP

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 13:26:28 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003, Patrick Baker wrote:

> Is it possible to do operations on a remote machine via the FTP protocol
> that do not involve transferring a file?

Yes it is. Setting CURLOPT_NOBODY to TRUE should prevent any data to get
downloaded.

> For example:
>
> - delete a file

Needs a CURLOPT_QUOTE command.

> - list a directory

Is supported by appeding a slash to the directory name.

> - determine if a file exists
> - determine if a directory exists

Need a CURLOPT_QUOTE command, or a directory list in the parent dir.

> I am trying to provide an API with normal (local-file-system) semantics that
> will work with remote files (using FTP under the hood).

For a similar effort, check out Vincent Sanders' cool massive update to the
fopen.c example code: http://curl.haxx.se/lxr/source/docs/examples/fopen.c