LDAP support in libcurl

From: Henrik Storner <henrik-curl_at_hswn.dk>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 13:59:09 +0200

Some time ago I filed a bug report on the libcurl ldap-support.
Daniel chose to document LDAP support as being broken - it is in
the "KNOWN_BUGS" document for curl 7.10.7.

I have now spent some time tackling the OpenLDAP API, and have
managed to put together some working code that can handle LDAP
URL's and present the results as text. Along the way I found out
that the bug I described in libcurl really is in the openldap
library - the ldap_entry2text() and ldap_entry2html() functions
that libcurl uses apparently were so broken that they have been
completely removed from OpenLDAP 2.1. Another function used by
libcurl - ldap_url_search_s() - has also been dropped; one has
to use the ldap_url_parse() routine to break down the URL, and
then use the normal ldap_search() functions.

So it is fair to say that the libcurl ldap-support is just plain
broken at the moment. Since I have a fairly good idea of how it
can be fixed, I would be willing to spend some time and put
something together that fits into libcurl. I would need some
help, though: libcurl apparently does not use the normal
openldap library header-files, but does it's own dynamic loading
of the library and sets up function pointers that must be used
to invoke the openldap routines. I am not quite sure how to
transform the openldap API into the stuff that libcurl apparently
prefers ...

So two questions: Is there an interest in getting libcurl's LDAP
stuff working again? And if there is, who would be willing to
lend me a hand in understanding how the runtime loading of the
ldap library works ?

Regards,
Henrik

--