HTTP POST seems broken in 7.10.7

From: Florian Schoppmann <fschopp_at_uni-paderborn.de>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 21:54:25 +0200

Hello,

it seems to me that HTTP POST is broken in cURL 7.10.7. To track down a
problem I had in one of my developments I tested the post-callback.c
example (from docs/examples).
I found that even this simple example would lock up when compiled on
Mac OS X 10.2.8 as well as on Windows XP with MS Visual Studio .NET.

All I get to see is:

---
* About to connect() to localhost:80
* Connected to localhost (127.0.0.1) port 80
 > POST /test-cgi HTTP/1.1
Host: localhost
Pragma: no-cache
Accept: image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg, */*
---
Thereafter, the program simply locks. Debugging tells me that cURL
reaches an endless loop in transfer.c, lines 1468-1498, spending most
of the time with the select()-call in line 1475 (thus consuming almost
no cpu cycles).
Oddly, when linking against cURL 7.10.1 (which I still had here
somewhere), all is fine. Nevertheless, I have not had time, yet, to
further investigate on this. Thus, I cannot tell with which version of
cURL the bug was introduced.
Just for completeness -- my test-cgi is a simple shell script:
---
#!/bin/sh
# disable filename globbing
set -f
echo Content-type: text/plain
echo
echo CGI/1.0 test script report:
echo
echo argc is $#. argv is "$*".
echo
echo SERVER_SOFTWARE = $SERVER_SOFTWARE
echo SERVER_NAME = $SERVER_NAME
echo GATEWAY_INTERFACE = $GATEWAY_INTERFACE
echo SERVER_PROTOCOL = $SERVER_PROTOCOL
echo SERVER_PORT = $SERVER_PORT
echo REQUEST_METHOD = $REQUEST_METHOD
echo HTTP_ACCEPT = "$HTTP_ACCEPT"
echo PATH_INFO = "$PATH_INFO"
echo PATH_TRANSLATED = "$PATH_TRANSLATED"
echo SCRIPT_NAME = "$SCRIPT_NAME"
echo QUERY_STRING = "$QUERY_STRING"
echo REMOTE_HOST = $REMOTE_HOST
echo REMOTE_ADDR = $REMOTE_ADDR