Re: compiling curl on HP 9000/715

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 05:24:15 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003, Matthias Klose wrote:

> > What makes you say this? I take it you mean it is a broken configure? In
> > what way? And what's the solution?
>
> autoconf generates a broken configure test. the test is based on the
> assumption that the function decl is not included by the inclusion of
> limits.h, but on HPUX you get definitions of select, strptime, strftime,
> gettimeofday, etc.

Since we talk about the test for select(), I take you mean that autoconf's
AC_CHECK_FUNCS() macro is bad for HP-UX?

If so, I agree. It seems the HP-UX compiler (and other) is rather picky on the
prototype not matching the actual use of the function and thus the test fails.
But, since a couple of curl releases back I've patched the configure test to
do a second check on all failed function checks to attempt a link without any
headers included at all.

This used to work on other HP-UX versions back when I did this change. Can
anyone with a failing HP-UX test enlighten me why the "checking deeper for..."
test fails for select()?

(I don't think the Python approach - snatched from a GCC bug report - provided
does any major difference than what my fix does for this case.)