Re: Cache-Control: no-cache

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 14:26:23 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Jerry G. Chiuan wrote:

> Therefore, in order to support both HTTP/1.0 and 1.1, we only need to use
> "Pragma: no-cache", right? since proxy which supports 1.1 also regonizes it

Yes, as RF2616 section 14.32 states:

   HTTP/1.1 caches SHOULD treat "Pragma: no-cache" as if the client had
   sent "Cache-Control: no-cache". No new Pragma directives will be
   defined in HTTP.

> Or, we still need to add "Cache-Control: no-cache"?

A bit above the previous quote, RFC2616 says:

   Clients SHOULD include both header fields when a no-cache
   request is sent to a server not known to be HTTP/1.1 compliant.