Re: Cache-Control: no-cache

From: Jerry G. Chiuan <jerry_at_oridus.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 10:12:46 -0700

> > Therefore, in order to support both HTTP/1.0 and 1.1, we only need to
use
> > "Pragma: no-cache", right? since proxy which supports 1.1 also regonizes
it

> Yes, as RF2616 section 14.32 states:
>
> HTTP/1.1 caches SHOULD treat "Pragma: no-cache" as if the client had
> sent "Cache-Control: no-cache". No new Pragma directives will be
> defined in HTTP.

It looks like we only need to send "Pragma: no-cache" for proxy not to use
cache

> > Or, we still need to add "Cache-Control: no-cache"?
>
> A bit above the previous quote, RFC2616 says:
>
> Clients SHOULD include both header fields when a no-cache
> request is sent to a server not known to be HTTP/1.1 compliant.

Sorry, my english is not good enough to understand its description
what does it mean by a server "not known to be HTTP/1.1 compliant" ?

Does it mean there are still certain servers which don't follow HTTP/1.1?
kind of confusing ~~

Regds,
- Jerry