Re: Cache-Control: no-cache

From: Jerry G. Chiuan <jerry_at_oridus.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 11:56:22 -0700

> Jerry G. Chiuan wrote:
>
> >So, the purpose of not only using "Pragma: no-cache" but also
> >"Cache-control: no-cache" is in case certain proxy/server is not *100%*
> >HTTP/1.1 compliant.
> >
> >Therefore, they only recognize "Cache-control: no-cache", but "Pragma:
> >no-cache"?
> >If that was the case, sound pretty wierd since they don't obey
> >backward-compatibility #$%@&...
> >
> If a proxy does not support "Pragma: no-cache" it has to ignore it.
> If a proxy does not support "Cache-control: no-cache" it has to ignore
> it as well.
> That's a principle of HTTP. So double effort couldn't do any harm (IMHO)?!
>
> Joerg M-T

Hi,
If RFC2616 *only* mentions proxy SHOULD treats "Pragma:" as
"Cache-control:", I would only use "Pragma:"
However, it not only mentions proxy SHOULD treats "Pragma:" as
"Cache-control:" but also client SHOULD send both flags.

Ya, it is hard to force everybody to 100% follow the standard, therefore RFC
just simply suggests both client and proxy to "do their best"

- Jerry