Re: $HOME patches

From: Gisle Vanem <gvanem_at_broadpark.no>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 02:24:37 +0100

"Daniel Stenberg" <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se> said:

> I think I would rather prefer to have the client either pass the "home dir" to
> the library, or perhaps even more specific the "netrc file name". An even
> bigger change could be to offer a separate interface to the netrc parsing so
> that a client can do "curl_parse_netrc()" and then pass in the user name and
> password (and whatever) to the library as the application author thinks is
> good.

Good, then we can have ".netrc" on Windows too (and not "_netrc"
as now).

How about a new easy CURLOPT_NETRC_FILE option?
Then open and parse the file as needed in curl_*_perform().

BTW. I think it's more "common" on Unix/VMS to check $HOME
first, then fallback to getpwuid(). Ref. Lynx's Home_Dir() in lyutils.c

--gv