Re: Need help in MAKE for Perl interface

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 08:09:19 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Mandy F Lucas wrote:

> I am running Window XP with Activeperl 522.

Let me just start with saying that you're not the first to face these problems
and as far as I can tell, no one ever put together a reasonable explanation or
documentation for how to do with on Windows. The primary author of the perl
binding (Cris Bailiff) is not a windows guy and neither am I.

Perhaps one day there will be someone with a clue and some time on his hands
that will make this work on windows and then tell the rest of the world how he
did it.

> I've installed curl and libcurl successfully but I am having problems
> following the steps installing the WWW::Curl package. According to the
> instructions for accessing libcurl from perl, I will need to do the
> following:
> cd to WWW::Curl directory
> perl makefile.pl
> make
> make install
>
> I was able to successfully complete the step 'perl makefile.pl' (see the
> attached output) but I am unable to run 'make' command.
>
> When issued 'make', I'd get 'make is not recognized as an internal or
> external command, operable program or batch file.' Do I need Visual Basic or
> Visual Studio installed in order to run 'make'? What does 'make' do?

You need a 'make'. Make is a common development tool that by using a
'makefile' controls how to compile and build together programs.

> Also, the lists suggested that I edit 'makefile' by adding libcurl.lib to
> LDLOADLIBS variable. I don't have libcurl.lib file nor the 'make'. Please
> advise.

I'm clueless here.

> C:\APPS\Perl\bin\curl\perl\WWW-Curl-2.0>perl makefile.pl
> 'curl-config' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.

curl-config is a tool that gets created and installed by curl on unix-like
systems, and it is then used to query information about the curl installation.
If you don't have the curl-config tool (no Windows user does) you must edit
the Makefile to instead use the proper options, without using that tool to
find out.

 [[ Do not post private mails to this email address. They won't reach me. ]]