Re: FTPS status report

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 10:44:00 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Dan Fandrich wrote:

> Since the current curl behaviour doesn't seem to be even mentioned on that
> explanatory page, hopefully that means noone is using it and noone will
> notice if it changes. However, based on that page, it looks like a URL of
> ftps://server:990/ using curl 10.7.8 probably will actually work on "SSL
> connect" servers.

I don't think so. Since 7.10.8 assumes that the data connection will be setup
unencrypted, while at least the server I've worked against now assumes the
data connection encrypted when the initial connection is made using SSL.

If we could work out a way to figure out what the server will expect the data
connection to be, before it is setup, then we could support both ways
transparantly.

> It might be worthwhile to allow that behaviour as an option in libcurl and
> make the front end automagically invoke that mode when it gets a URL
> specifying port 990 directly, like the above.

All ftps:// URLs will use SSL automaticly for both connections. I haven't yet
set a default port number for ftps:// urls. Is 990 the one to use?

 [[ Do not post private mails to this email address. They won't reach me. ]]