Re: FTPS problems

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 07:24:12 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Gisle Vanem wrote:

> I've been trying FTPS with latest curl. Don't know if the order of checking
> the schemes in url.c has anything to do with my problems, but it looks
> suspicious. Shouldn't "FTPS" be checked before "FTP" (since strncasecmp is
> used).

You're right. However, the mistake doesn't make any difference as the code
further down checks for FTP _or_ FTPS and then acts... But I'll correct that
anyway.

> A friend of mine clams to have a FTPS enabled server running, but I can't
> get it to work.
>
> > curl -vvk --ftp-ssl -1 ftps://guest:***@195.56.193.26/test.zip

You'll never need both --ftp-ssl and ftps:// (as the latter will imply the
first option).

 - Use ftps:// to use SSL already when connecting to the host.

 - Use --ftp-ssl to connect using normal FTP mechanims and then "upgrade" to
   SSL (as much as possible). This is the preferred method by servers and
   documents.

It looks like this site has a plaintext connect which would indicate that the
--ftp-ssl approach should be used.

 [[ Do not post private mails to this email address. They won't reach me. ]]