Re: Kerberos on Windows

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 23:20:53 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003, Gisle Vanem wrote:

> But try a host that is down:
>
> > curl -v ftp://195.56.193.26/
>
> * Couldn't find host 195.56.193.26 in the .netrc file, using defaults
> * About to connect() to 195.56.193.26 port 21
> * Connected to 195.56.193.26 (195.56.193.26) port 21
> * Connection aborted
> * Closing connection #0
> curl: (56) Connection aborted
>
> According to tcpdump, only 3 SYNs are sent before the non-blocking connect()
> fails. No reset is received, but curl says "Connection aborted". Aborted by
> who? I assume that's simply Winsock giving up.

This error message shows up when the FTP response reading function fails. It
means that libcurl did TCP connect fine and when it continued and wanted to
read the initial FTP response, it failed. This is the only place in the code
where this message is returned.

I've seen hosts running particular firewall setups show this behavior in the
past, they accept connections to all ports.

I agree the wording of this message is quite puzzling... It should be fixed!

> I didn't follow the sequence of calls, but seems verboseconnect() is called
> from SetupConnection() before the actual connect() succeedes.

AFAICS, both calls to verboseconnect() are done after a successful connect.

The one in SetupConnection() is done when the connection was found already
connected, and the one in Curl_protocol_connect() is made just before the
protocol-specifik connect stuff so it has to be connected or the
protocol-specific part would fail.

> Or there's something wrong with verifyconnect() on Windows?

verifyconnect() always return TRUE on windows.