Re: Handling broken ftp REST over 2 GB

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 17:11:54 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, Dave Meyer wrote:

> > I'm not really sure how we solve this the nicest possible way...
>
> The thought I had (and the one I'm working towards currently) is to make the
> REST handler tell the document body writing code to skip some number of
> bytes of server data. If the server's offset is 100 and our request was
> 150, the document writing code would thus simply ignore the first 50 bytes
> of data.

Yes, for download that's easy. For upload, it isn't so easy...

> Of course, the assumption I'm making here is that anytime data is received
> from the server it eventually passes through Curl_client_write. If that's
> not the case, then I'm not sure the solution I'm working on will actually
> work in all cases...

That's a correct assumption for downloads.

For uploads, the app will tell libcurl "resume upload at pos X" and then it'll
probably seek to that position in a file or something, then when the read
callback gets called, the app reads from the file at that position.

With this new REST stuff, the library can find out that X is no good, we need
to restart at Y instead and thus the app needs to be told to upload from that
position instead...