Re: gethostbyname & MinGW build problem

From: Gour <gour_at_mail.inet.hr>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 14:13:55 +0100

Daniel Stenberg (daniel-curl_at_haxx.se) wrote:

> There are, but why is that an issue here?

Well, as far as I can see, curl's configure script does not include <winsock.h>
or <winsock2.h> where there is declaration for gethostbyname().

Here is the snippet from config.log:

configure:19996: checking for gethostbyname
configure:20046: gcc -o conftest.exe -g -O2 conftest.c >&5
c:/windows/temp/cceJfPfb.o(.text+0x1a): In function `main':
C:/MSYS/1.0/home/gour/curl-7.11.0-20031219/configure:20058: undefined reference
to `gethostbyname'
c:/windows/temp/cceJfPfb.o(.data+0x0):C:/MSYS/1.0/home/gour/curl-7.11.0-20031219
/configure:20057: undefined reference to `gethostbyname'
configure:20049: $? = 1

> This is indeed a good test to detect libcurl. This probably fails because the
> compiler (or rather the linker) doesn't know in what directory to find
> libcurl. This might be able to cure by setting LDFLAGS=-L/path/to/dir before
> you run configure.

I doubt it's so since all the required libraries (like zlib which is found) are
in the same place /mingw/lib, and as you can see from above, the problem is
undefined reference.

> If I were to make that program to link with libcurl, I'd:
>
> 1. try setting LDFLAGS etc when I invoke configure to be sure it can link with
> libcurl for tests. Also, I'd check if the configure script takes some nice
> options that would help.
>
> and it that fails:
>
> 2. I'd run configure without libcurl support, and then modify the config.h and
> Makefiles afterwards accordingly to use libcurl.

First I have to find out what is the minimal requirement to compile the
conftest.exe with MinGW which use e.g. gethostbyname().

Unfortunately, I'm not a developer, just trying to compile the program for Win
so that it can get wider audience.

> > is much simpler/better than fiddling with makefiles.
>
> I would love to have this work for curl too.

Great!

> > If it's possible to compile whole wxWindows library in MinGW/MSYS
> > environment, it should be possible to for curl too.
>
> I agree. But since I don't have that environment setup myself, I have limited
> ability to make it work myself.

Similar is with darcs - author works on Linux and there everything works.
Somehow I have ability to simply test programs on Win98 which runs under
win4lin, so it is not too much hassle (no need for dual boot :-) to compile
something in MSYS/MinGW environment (things just run in another full-screen
session.)

Sincerely,
Gour

--