Why no longer supported...?

From: mitz wark <peb_p2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 16:38:11 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

My apologies in advance if I've missed any, but in 7.10.8 release note says:
* CURLOPT_PASSWDFUNCTION and CURLOPT_PASSWDDATA are no longer supported

- Do you know why these are non-supported?
- What replace them?
- I upgraded the lib to this version 7.10.8, but I can still call them, and curl doesn't complain about it....

I am very confused.

Thank you for any help.

mitz