Re: formatting hugehelp.c

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 23:40:45 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Tor Arntsen wrote:

> /opt/freeware/bin/gnroff -man ../../curl/docs/curl.1 |
> /opt/freeware/bin/perl ../../curl/src/mkhelp.pl ../../curl/docs/MANUAL >>
> hugehelp.c gtroff: fatal error: can't find macro file an

Ouch.

> The tmac package that comes with groff-1.17.2 on AIX doesn't have an.tmac,
> however it does have andoc.tmac (the "modern" an.tmac, most of the newer
> an.tmac's is just running andoc.tmac anyway, which again runs either
> doc.tmac or an-old.tmac)

Funnily enough, 1.17.2 is the exact same version I use on one of my dev
machines, and it has it... (a Linux host)

> What about using '-man' if NROFF is "nroff", and '-mandoc' if NROFF is
> "gnroff"? Would that create any trouble? My linux box has groff-1.18.1
> with both an.tmac and andoc.tmac, but as I said AIX' groff only has
> andoc.tmac. I checked around a bit, and groff seems to have andoc.tmac on
> at least AIX, Solaris, Linux, IRIX and cygwin. IIRC andoc.tmac is an
> original groff "invention", so it's probably always there.

I have an even better idea. I make the configure script test for the presense
of these options and it'll use -man if present and -mandoc if that is present.
(No, I have no good idea what to do if both fails! :-)

I've just committed code that works like this!