http proxy error messages

From: Dirk Manske <dm_at_nettraffic.de>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 11:04:34 +0100

On Monday 02 February 2004 17:04, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> > And error messages while using http proxy are misleading. "Could not
> > resolve host" and "Could not connect" can apear for the proxy and the
> > web host. I hope I find the time to fix it this week.
>
> I'm not following you here. How are they misleading?

Non-ares curl-7.11.0-20040123:

  $ ./curl --proxy blah:9999 http://127.0.0.1/
  curl: (5) Couldn't resolve proxy 'blah'

Thats ok, but

  $ ./curl --proxy localhost:9999 http://127.0.0.1/
  curl: (7) Connect failed

should be "Could not connect proxy".

Ares version:

  $ ./curl --proxy blah:9999 http://127.0.0.1/
  curl: (6) Could not resolve host: 127.0.0.1

Uh, wrong messsage.

  ./curl --proxy localhost:9999 http://127.0.0.1/
  curl: (7) Connect failed

Same as non-ares.