Re: Zlib 1.2.1

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 16:26:33 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Tor Arntsen wrote:

> >I notice that the curl builds (as of v 7.11.0) are still using zlib 1.1.4,
> >but there is a new zlib version 1.2.1 out as of Nov 2003...
>
> As somebody else mentioned, on Debian unstable curl is linked against 1.2.1,
> which seems to work fine.

All builds that use a specific version of zlib are provided by friendly
persons or organizations. I take this mail as a heads-up to all those
binary-package providers to upgrade. I don't think this mailing list reaches
very many of those though... ;-)

> For my own daily builds (http://curl.haxx.se/auto/) I prefer to stick with
> the vendor-supplied versions of all tools, compilers and libs, however old,
> as long as these will indeed work with curl.

... and in my end, I'm happy to see auto-builds with as many different
versions as possible, of all involved subsystems, to verify that curl works as
good as possible with all of them.

> For libtool, and automake/autoconf (the last two are needed for builds out
> of CVS, at least) the situation is often a bit more difficult because curl
> needs quite new versions.

Those three tools are only needed when you build from the CVS sources.
Everyone who downloads a source tarball will be getting pre-generated scripts
and files.

> (There are also one or two more snags, like a horribly broken 'which'
> program on AIX and Tru64 ('which' is called from curl/buildconf)).

Would it make sense to replace the which with an internal shell-function that
scans the PATH, like this:

#!/bin/sh

file="$1"

IFS=":"