Re: CURLOPT_TIMEOUT

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 11:00:43 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Jerry G. Chiuan wrote:

> This post is relative to my previous one regarding CURLOPT_TIMEOUT works but
> CURLOPT_CONNECTTIMEOUT doesn't not work for connecting to an invalid IP ( my
> post is called "CURLOPT_CONNECTIONTIMEOUT and" ) I tried to connect to a
> invalid IP, it doesn't time out as I specified w/ this option, it times out
> at 100(sec) which should be Windows XP's system timeout ( ps: invalid IP
> means there is no the machine which has this IP)

Can you provide a full example that shows this? Does it do this timeout if you
use the IP 127.0.0.2 ?

> I thought it might be due to my curl is too old ( 7.10.7), then I upgraded
> my curl to 7.11.0 and CURLOPT_CONNECTTIMEOUT still doesn't work for invalid
> IP. but I didon't build 7.11.0 w/ ares, does it matter?

curl built with ares will have better timeout capabilities, yes, but the
biggest benefit is when you're using the multi interface as ares-built
libcurls have less blocking calls then and thus performs a lot better.