Compiling with the Intel compiler

From: Tor Arntsen <tor_at_spacetec.no>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 17:44:44 +0100

FYI,

I'm adding a setup using the Intel C compiler (8.0) to my autobuilds, but
it's not ready yet. But I have uploaded one log so that Daniel can figure
out yet another compiler warning format for the web scripts :-)

(http://curl.haxx.se/auto/log.cgi?id=20040219172816-4230)

First, everything work nicely using the Intel compiler (on ia64 at least),
except that the configure script keeps thinking that icc==gcc:

 checking for gcc... icc
..

and thus the build is using GCC compiler options. The Intel compiler doesn't
choke on unknown options, it just issues a warning and goes on. AFAIK Intel
made the compiler this way to make it possible to replace gcc without too
much trouble.

testcurl: build ares
icc -c -DCURLDEBUG -I../include -g -g -W -Wall -Wwrite-strings -pedantic -Wno-long-long -Wundef -Wpointer-arith -Wnested-externs -Wcast-align -Winline -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -Wmissing-prototypes -Wshadow -Wsign-compare -DPACKAGE_NAME=\"\" -DPACKAGE_TARNAME=\"\" -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"\" -DPACKAGE_STRING=\"\" -DPACKAGE_BUGREPORT=\"\" -DSTDC_HEADERS=1 ../../curl/ares/ares__close_sockets.c
icc: Command line remark: option '-W' not supported
icc: Command line warning: ignoring option '-p'; no argument required
icc: Command line warning: ignoring option '-W'; no argument required
icc: Command line warning: ignoring option '-W'; no argument required
icc: Command line warning: ignoring option '-W'; no argument required
icc: Command line warning: ignoring option '-W'; no argument required
icc: Command line warning: ignoring option '-W'; no argument required
icc: Command line warning: ignoring option '-W'; no argument required
icc: Command line warning: ignoring option '-W'; no argument required
icc: Command line warning: ignoring option '-W'; no argument required
icc: Command line warning: ignoring option '-W'; no argument required
icc: Command line warning: ignoring option '-W'; no argument required

I've been looking at automake and libtool a bit. It seems that only
automake version 1.7.3 or newer, and libtool 1.5.x or newer knows about
the intel compiler. I have tried updating my build environment to these
versions (the provided log is with automake 1.7.4 and libtool 1.5.2), but
it didn't really make any difference.

Anyway, using this compiler should give Daniel a whole new set of warnings
to work on, now that he has managed to beat down all those warnings from
the SGI MIPSPro compiler :-)

-Tor