Re: CURLOPT_TIMEOUT

From: Jerry G. Chiuan <jerry_at_oridus.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 10:30:54 -0800

> > This post is relative to my previous one regarding CURLOPT_TIMEOUT works
but
> > CURLOPT_CONNECTTIMEOUT doesn't not work for connecting to an invalid IP
( my
> > post is called "CURLOPT_CONNECTIONTIMEOUT and" ) I tried to connect to a
> > invalid IP, it doesn't time out as I specified w/ this option, it times
out
> > at 100(sec) which should be Windows XP's system timeout ( ps: invalid IP
> > means there is no the machine which has this IP)
>
> Can you provide a full example that shows this? Does it do this timeout if
you
> use the IP 127.0.0.2 ?

It doesn't time out for 127.0.0.2, btw, why do you want me to test
127.0.0.2?

I think this issue should be easy to reproduce by inserting
CURLOPT_CONNECTTIMEOUT into sample code and see whether it times out or not
my application is big and not appropriate to do this test, I will try sample
code later

> > I thought it might be due to my curl is too old ( 7.10.7), then I
upgraded
> > my curl to 7.11.0 and CURLOPT_CONNECTTIMEOUT still doesn't work for
invalid
> > IP. but I didon't build 7.11.0 w/ ares, does it matter?
>
> curl built with ares will have better timeout capabilities, yes, but the
> biggest benefit is when you're using the multi interface as ares-built
> libcurls have less blocking calls then and thus performs a lot better.

So you mean building w/ area support shall not matter for this case since
this is invalid IP but domain names, right?

thanks
- Jerry