Re: Compiling with the Intel compiler

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 10:21:24 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, Tor Arntsen wrote:

> In fact icc 8.0 defines __GNUC__ which is what the configure script checks
> for.
>
> It even defines __GNUC__=3 and __GNUC_MINOR__=2! Intel tries really hard to
> make this compiler look like gcc, except in the name. But still, it
> understands only -Wall, not the individual -W options. Oh well. We may have
> to go for the version >= 5 hack for the ares module as well.

I'm actually going to take one step further. Since icc defines the symbol
__ICC (again thanks to http://predef.sf.net/) I'm gonna try running the cpp to
detect ICC and then avoid setting some options.

When doing this, I can detect icc pretty accurately. What options would make
sense to set in this case? I mean when building --enable-debug with icc.

I've also moved out this logic into a separate "function" (AC_DEFUN) in
acinclude.m4, so that it will become easier to just copy this function to the
ares source tree.