RE: building with MSVC

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 15:56:50 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, David Byron wrote:

I have some nits on the approach of this patch.

This patch assumes that you build from CVS when you use MSVC, which most
people won't be doing. I think you should take greater care to work both off
CVS and from release archives.

For all unix-like systems, we have a 'buildconf' script that sets up the
environment with scripts and stuff that is otherwise provided in the release
archive (thus we use then when we build when using sources off CVS), and I
would suggest a similar approach for building from CVS under windows as well
(possibly called buildconf.bat or something).

> 1. No ca-bundle.h (fixed with patch)

This gets generated by the configure script on unixes, and thus comes included
fine in release archives.

> 2. No getdate.c (fixed with patch)

This gets generated by yacc/bison on unixes. Also included in release
archives.

> 3. No hugehelp.c (fixed with patch)

This gets generated with perl/*nroff on unixes. Included in release archives.

> 4. No strtoofft.h in src.

This file is used from the lib dir on unixes. Should need a properly adjusted
makefile.

Makefile.dist is not present in release archives, it is copied into release
archives using the name 'Makefile' (and issubsequently replaced by configure
on unixes, if configure is run in the source dir).