Re: Auto configured proxy support in libcurl

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 16:19:01 -0800

On Sat, Feb 28, 2004 at 10:39:39AM -0800, Delfin Rojas wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a question. Does libcurl currently supports auto configured proxies?
> Looks like in Windows IE and Netscape browsers support a file that the proxy
> returns instructing the client where to go. I am new to this but looks like
> this file is written in Javascript. Some more documentation is found here:
>
> http://wp.netscape.com/eng/mozilla/2.0/relnotes/demo/proxy-live.html

You're right, the file can contain arbitrary JavaScript. I'm sure auto-
configured proxy support will be added to libcurl right after JavaScript
support is added (i.e. it won't).

Having said that, I've worked on a libcurl application that does its own
auto-configuring proxy support. It's designed for a closed system where
we have control over the format of the auto-configure file. So, rather
than using type application/x-ns-proxy-autoconfig (JavaScript) we use
type application/x-internet-signup which is a Windows-style .ini format
that's simple to parse. The application uses the WPAD (Web Proxy
Auto-discovery) heuristics to find and download that file.

>>> Dan