Re: Daily build for FreeBSD

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 11:15:48 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004, Joe Halpin wrote:

> FreeBSD has something called the ports collection, which is a bunch of
> applications that have been ported to FreeBSD. These include patches for
> each application to allow for FreeBSD specific stuff. In the case of curl,
> they have a port for 7.11.0 which includes six patch files for FreeBSD
> specific issues.

If they fix problems in curl to make it run/build better on FreeBSD, then yes,
I would appreciate to get them and having them applied.

<rant>
Personally, I've learned that almost all distributors patch curl on and
off with various patches, most of them being backported fixes from newer code
to make older versions work (at least that's the impression I've got). If they
don't provide the patches back to us, I assume the patches are specific for
their particular build environments or whatever and thus not interesting for
the curl project. There are just too many various places for me to scan for
random patches that might be interesting. They all (should) know how to get
hold of us.
</rant>

> I'm just wondering if a daily build for FreeBSD should include those
> somehow, or even if it's worth having a daily build since they seem to be
> pretty much up to date anyway.

I think you should autotest the curl code from CVS, and if there are problems
in that version we apply and commit fixes there. That way, we continue to test
the same code on all autobuild platforms.

If you think any of those patches would improve curl, please forward them
here!

> Perhaps the porter monitors this list and would care to comment.

That would of course be great.