RE: removing winsock 2 dependence

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 14:39:45 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, David Byron wrote:

Thanks for your patch! It was applied and committed just now.

> > event_handle = (WSAEVENT)create_event_func();
> > should IMHO be written as:
> > event_handle = (WSAEVENT) (*create_event_func)();
>
> My habit is to write the calls the first way -- the one you don't like. I
> think you're probably right that (*create_event_func) is more correct, but
> I'd have to do some digging to convince myself. Do you mind leaving them as
> they are for now and looking into this in another patch?

This has been discussed before in the ldap.c context. I personally don't mind
the first approach but I can see why some people prefer to the second.

I'm not aware of any particular porting problems related to either way of
expressing this (and _this_ particular code is Windows-only and thus even less
likely to suffer from any such problems).

> > BTW. I think MSVC should have HAVE_LONGLONG defined in it's Makefile to
> > support large files.
>
> I'd love to deal with this later if that's OK.

It should only define HAVE_LONGLONG if it truly has "long long" - which I
believe it doesn't?

The current source code checks for MSVC and defines ENABLE_64BIT if it detects
it and then that define is checked at various places instead of HAVE_LONGLONG,
and the type to use for 64 bit data is called LONG_LONG in the curl code.

I am very interested in fixing any remaining quirks that might prevent large
files from being transfered with the current CVS version of curl. On windows
or elsewhere.