Re: ftp serial transfers slow ... parallel fast

From: codemastr <codemstr_at_ptd.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 17:58:32 -0500

> The obvious question is, how do I make it go faster without transferring
> everything in parallel? If not already implicit in the answer to the
> previous question, why would it seem slow from windows (perhaps I am just
> imagining things ...) ?
The first thing, ftp is an inherently slow protocol. That's why you'll
notice curl has special support to add additional timeouts for FTP because
FTP is notoriously slow. The other thing, when you are comparing Linux and
Windows, is this the same machine (i.e. dual-boot)? I mean, if you're
comparing your Windows machine on a 56K and say a Linux shell account on a
T1, well then obviously the Linux download is going to be faster :)

Also I noticed you mentioned smb. I know someone said they were working on a
patch for libcurl to support smb, maybe that would be a better alternative
for you? But, I don't know if that patch was ever completed.

> By the way, if I dont add and remove the easy_curl handle from the multi
> group between file transfers it seems to crash ... how bizarre. I am
doing
> something else wrong, or is that the way it is supposed to work?
I'm not totally sure what you mean, you might need to be a bit more specific
about your code.

Dominick Meglio