Re: CURLcode_strerror

From: codemastr <codemstr_at_ptd.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 13:38:27 -0500

I have a few comments on this.

First off, in my opinion, the messages are very inconsistent. What I mean
is, some start with a capital ("Maximum file size exceeded") but some don't
("couldn't use specified cipher"). A minor detail of course, but such things
don't look nice if you're displaying output to a user. In some places you
say "HTTP" in others "http" (same with "FTP" vs "ftp" and "LDAP" vs "ldap").

Second, typos. CURLE_SHARE_IN_USE returns "CURLE_SHARE_IN_USER" which, other
than providing no useful information at all, is a typo (use != user). In
some places you correctly say "couldn't" in others "couldnt."

Other than things like that, I don't personally think some of your messages
are really very useful. I mean, they just don't seem to be worded very
clearly. "failed init" that's not as descriptive as "initialization failed"
minor change, but it makes it much more readable (and uses proper grammar).
Or CURLE_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS, you say "catch endless re-direct loops" which
isn't what it does at all. It does just as the name implies, it catches "Too
many redirects were encountered." If CURLOPT_MAXREDIRS is set to 1, well
then you're going to get that error after 1 redirect, it doesn't have
anything to do with an "endless loop." Or "url malformat," malformat,
according to my dictionary, isn't even a word. "A malformed URL was
specified" is much easier to understand.

I just personally think that the purpose of a strerror() is to make it clear
what the problem is, not to be just a confusing bunch of words. I like the
idea of curl_*_strerror, it's just a matter of choosing the correct text for
the messages and writing them in a consistent fashion.

Dominick Meglio