Re: IIS says: Bad Request (Invalid Verb)

From: Alan Pinstein <apinstein_at_mac.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 10:06:41 -0500

Ok, I tried this, and it didn't help.....

Fortunately my company has an MSDN Universal contract so I will call
them today and see how that goes.

FWIW, I examined the difference between the 2 working requests (GET
version of the same .NET call) to see what, if any differences, there
were in the authentication.

The first time libcurl connects, it sends this header along with the
request (same to both machines obviously):

> Authorization: NTLM TlRMTVNTUAABAAAAAgIAAAAAAAAgAAAAAAAAACAAAAA=

Then, the machines do respond differently:

< Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.0
< WWW-Authenticate: NTLM
TlRMTVNTUAACAAAAAAAAADAAAAACAgAA0m1iYUfWTwsAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAwAAAA

---
 > Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0
 > WWW-Authenticate: NTLM
TlRMTVNTUAACAAAAAAAAADgAAAACAgACW+BHzM0t6zkAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA4AAAABQLODgAA
AA8=
And of course the follow-up final part of the handshake is different:
< Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.0
< Authorization: NTLM
TlRMTVNTUAADAAAAGAAYAE0AAAAYABgAZQAAAAAAAABAAAAADQANAEAAAAAAAAAATQAAAAAA
AAB9AAAAAYIAAGFkbWluaXN0cmF0b3J887ch6gFCYUfVXeXzkt5GbJB4JNkzHYwtTHZflbNJ
2CcARWgYWNYBuwo105/f61Q=
---
 > Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0
 > Authorization: NTLM
TlRMTVNTUAADAAAAGAAYAFIAAAAYABgAagAAAAoACgBAAAAACAAIAEoAAAAAAAAAUgAAAAAA
AACCAAAAAYIAAGludGVyd292ZW5hcGluc3RlaaI8L7j8b3r+470cAkDJRDhGoltVTDWqui9m
nfDhqoY0cAM7jvDo6gqw1hLHpNfk6w==
BUT the thing to remember is that it WORKS in both cases... it's only
when I convert to SOAP (soap in POST) that I get an error. Plus, that
error is *not* an NTLM authorization error, but rather
Bad Request (Invalid Verb).
At this point in time I think the libcurl horse is quite beaten and
dead.... unless anyone has any other thoughts, I am gonna call MS.
Alan