Re: Direction and purpose of the c-ares library

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 23:23:16 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, codemastr wrote:

> I'm just wondering, what is the goal of c-ares?

The main goal for me personally was to get an asynchronous name resolving
library for curl.

> Is it simply to be a libcurl resolver?

I think perhaps we should start a separate c-ares mailing list and see if we
get any interested parties there that are not libcurlers. Getting a lot of
non-libcurl related development talk on this list wouldn't be nice to those
who care only about libcurl (and that's why they're here).

> If we add SRV record support (which I really think we should), should we
> then also add support for other records? Like I could see MX support being
> useful for some people as well? Of course, the ares_query function already
> makes this possible, but, I think, if I'm making an application that uses
> name resolving, I shouldn't have to know the DNS protocol, the library
> should hide all of that from me.

I agree with that.

> Basically, what I mean is, with some of the features suggested (IPv6,
> nsswitch.conf, SRV support) c-ares has the potential to grow into a very
> versatile library. Is that the goal? Or is it simply to have a minimalistic
> library to provide libcurl with what it needs?

While I'd like to see c-ares grow even better and more powerful, I'm not sure
I'm suitable as captain of that boat.

I guess I'm saying that I'm open for allowing someone else to take over c-ares
maintaining, or at least to share the burden of maintainance, CVS commmits
etc.