Re: Building curl/libcurl for Windows with VC6

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 15:28:23 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, hunter wrote:

Please bear with me. I don't develop under Windows. I don't even have a
compiler on the few windows machines I do have access to. Thus I need to ask
lots of questions and bounce mails back and forth several times before things
settle.

Now I've also CC'ed the libcurl mailing list since I believe we reach more
people who have compiled curl on windows there, and their input in this
subject is desirable.

> > This is wrong. curlx_strtoll() is not exported, you should use the code
> > from the lib: http://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2004-02/0215.html

> I am not using this function, curl.exe fails to compile because of an
> unresolved external reference - _curlx_strtoll

I understood that part, but I argued that the solution to your problem was not
done the proper way. That's why I provided the link to my posting where I
desribed the introduction of the curlx_* functions, why they are there and how
I think they should be used.

Exporting them in the library is the complete opposite of my intentions.

> > > \lib\setup.h - added defines for HAVE_ZLIB_H, etc.
> >
> > I'd say they belong in the Makefile or possibly in config-win32.h.
>
> Ok, so they should be in the makefile - but they are not.

Since these defines are dependent on the system setup where curl is compiled,
I am indeed interested in getting a fix that is as nice as possible to all
people who wants to build curl. With or without libz.

Any suggestions?

In unix-land we have configure to detect the presence of zlib and define the
proper defines.

> I did not put CURL_VERSION in the version file four times - why don't
> you look at the original source.

Aaaah... the file provided in the release archive is a generated one, and yes,
this shows there's a bug in the maketgz script. The defines are all fine in
the real source file as can be found on CVS. Me fix. Try tomorrow's daily
snapshot and I believe you'll like it better!

> I thought you would find it easy enough to compare the differences. Like I
> tried to say in the begiining, I am not familiar with the code and my
> solutions are probably not optimal - I offer them as a way to infer the
> problem so that those who are familiar might make the best solutions.

I most certainly appreciate your provided updates and your help. I just want
to understand the reasons for the changes and I want others to get the chance
to speak up and tell us their views on how the changes are made. The lack of
diff output also makes i harder to review the changes.

Please rememeber that curl builds and runs on a LARGE amount of operating
systems by now. I'm having quite a work just to keep things moving and getting
the right pieces put in the right places.