Re: Curl_strerror and strerror_r on glibc

From: Tor Arntsen <tor_at_spacetec.no>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 13:02:22 +0100

On Mar 25, 12:55, Holger Rauch wrote:
>Hi Tor!
>
>On Thu, 25 Mar 2004, Tor Arntsen wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> But glibc (despite the confusing manpage on at least some Linux distros)
>> has an old, incompatible implementation that *appears* to be similar enough,
>> but isn't:
>>
>> char *strerror_r(int errnum, char *buf, size_t n);
[...]
>To which versions of glibc does this apply, 2.2.5, 2.3.2, or both?

Every version of glibc ever, as far as I know. I have tested on 2.2.4 (ia64),
2.2.5 (i386) and 2.3.2 (i386). I also googled around a bit, which led me to
believe this applies to all version of glibc. I think that function was
added to GNU libc a long time ago, before POSIX, and to stay compatible with
itself it hasn't changed since then.

-Tor