Re: Debugging test cases

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 14:22:24 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004, Joe Halpin wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out why some test cases are failing on my Solaris box.
> I was having a little trouble trying to use gdb because the README file in
> the tests directory says I should be able to just type run to start things
> off. however, that results in an error about curl not being in executable
> format (because what it's pointed to is a script).

Right, "runtests.pl -g" assumes that configure --disable-shared has been used.
I guess the proper fix for this is to use libtool somehow to start gdb,
instead of just blindly assume that 'curl' is the final executable.

> So I figured out that I need to do make install first, then 'file
> /usr/local/bin/curl' before typing 'run'.

Yes, that's one way to do it, but I'd rather have the -g thing work with the
newly compiled version which isn't necessarily installed.

> Is this some kind of Solaris thing, does it work this way for other people?
> If so, maybe the README file could be more explicit.

Until -g works with the shared-library version of curl we should add this to
the README, but eventually we should make -g work for all cases.