Re: TclCurl: ftpssl option: where to find an SSH library?

From: Joe Halpin <j.p.h_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 11:40:14 -0500

stefano federici wrote:

> Sorry, I guess this last reply means that I shouldn't
> have bothered you with my troubles... the fact is that
> before starting to look for an FTPS library (hopefully
> with TCL bindings) I was using the "SSH Secure File
> Tranfer Client" that when starts says "defaultsftp",
> so I thought that WAS SFTP. So I'll keep bothering you
> for the very last time to know if there is anyone that
> knows of a free ready-to-use library to connect to the
> vaxca1.unica.it server and to upload files to it.

I'm not sure I understand this, but if you're using ssh, then sftp or
scp should be able to do what you want.

http://www.openssh.org/

Is the primary site for openSSH, and has information about sftp. Also
take a look at

http://www.snailbook.com/faq/
http://kimmo.suominen.com/ssh/

> I checked for Putty and similar clients, but them all
> seem to provide an interactive shell (but I want to
> realize a programmatic and unassisted file transfer,
> with no user interaction).

You can do that with SSH in several different ways. The best way is to
use an agent to maintain the keys so you don't have to leave passphrases
in scripts etc. The second link above has a section on doing this.

It's very difficult to run any kind of ftp client through ssh though.
You can forward the control connection through an ssh proxy with no
trouble, but it's much more difficult to secure the data channel(s).
Using sftp makes more sense if you're going to use SSH.

Joe