Re: valgrind and curl tests

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 09:26:06 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004, Joe Halpin wrote:

> I found where it's happening and let the maintainer know. Valgrind plays
> games with how memory is setup, so I'm going to let him figure it out.

> However, he doesn't sound like he considers this a priority.

Fair enough. If most options work it is still nice from most valgrind users'
perspective.

> Another possibility is to modify runtests.pl to redirect stdout to the
> logfile, something like
>
> $CURL="exec 3>log/valgrind$testnum valgrind --leak-check=yes -q $CURL >&3";

I fail to see how this would work similar to the current command line. I want
valgrind's output to get stored in a separate logfile, not mixed with the
"regular" stdout or stderr outputs.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this command line basicly redirects stdout to the
new file and then it'll catch both valgrind's output as well as curl's. Also.
the test script already uses the '>' operator (to redirect stdout, file
descriptor 1) for the tests where stdout-checking is done.

Is the --logfile valgrind option perhaps working for you? I think we can use
that one instead, even if it adds 'pid.$pid' to the file name.

> This would work on both linux and freebsd. I've played around with it a bit
> and I can get it to work if you're interested in going that way.

If you can make it work, then I am interested indeed.

> I could also add some code to use watchmalloc on Solaris as well.

That would be nice. If you can provide any example outputs that watchmalloc
produces when it catches any problems it would also be cool as then we could
start adding a function that auto-detects such failures in the output the
tool.