Re: URL parsing

From: Mohun Biswas <m_biswas_at_mailinator.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 18:32:44 -0400

codemastr wrote:

> Yeah, PCRE is portable. However, you've just removed the advantage of this
> method. The reason to do this, is to avoid (large) parsing code such as used
> by liburi. If I need to include PCRE, which is something like ~500KB, well
> then I might as well just include liburi instead.

Hmm, that doesn't seem to be either the point you made in your previous
nor addressed to the original poster's question. I hope we're not
arguing about whether this should be bundled with libcurl, because
Daniel has already definitely ruled that out. So my understanding is
that the question is merely how the OP or anyone else might best do URI
parsing while using libcurl. In any case, for the record:

% ls -l libcurl.a libpcre.a
-rw-r--r-- 1 root other 1736724 Apr 6 10:01 libcurl.a
-rw-r--r-- 1 root other 144364 Mar 1 22:58 libpcre.a

(both compiled with -g on) and

% ls -l libpcre.a
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root other 58432 Apr 20 18:22 libpcre.a

(with -g removed). So I don't see how pcre adds a huge amount of bloat
to libcurl. But I have no personal investment in the debate, other than
using them both happily. Maybe you're doing some embedded thing where
58K is a lot of bytes.

MB