Re: More TODOs

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 16:56:08 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004, Gisle Vanem wrote:

> I know very little about automake/configure, so pt. 37 on non-Windows is not
> my cup of tea. Not sure if including libidn should be automatic or added
> with "--with-libidn".

I'll volounteer to do the autoconf stuff for libidn. If you just provide the
necessary #ifdef magic in the code.

> 36 is already done here, but think I'll postpone the patch until 35 is done
> (or after 7.11.2 is released).

I'm working on issue 35, and I think I'll post my suggested remodeled version
of the stuff here before I commit. I think I'll wait for the next release
first before I commit this since hostip.c as it is today will be no more.

> 38 is easy if we can borrow the URL-parser from OpenLDAP src.

Just consider the license issues. If we use actual code from OpenLDAP I
believe we must include their license text in our release archives and there
might be other license restrictions for it I've forgotten right now-

> Or use Window' native NLS functions; convert to/from native charset and
> UTF-8 (to support non-ASCII ldap queries). But I don't know yet what the RFC
> says about encodings in LDAP..

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to LDAP...

> More long-term maybe; support SNMP (v1,2c,3) urls the same we support LDAP.
> I.e. via some generic dynamic loading of modules to support unknown
> protocols. ".curlrc" could have something like:

> --scheme-snmpv1 = (parser=???, lib=libnetsnmp.so).

Now we're brainstorming seriously! But sure, I'm not against a "plugin"
concept. We would just need to consider all the details properly first.

> + Add debug version of getnameinfo().

Why? The other debug functions are there to track memory/resources to make
sure we don't leak, but getnameinfo() can't leak!?