Re: issue #33 in TODO-RELEASE

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 08:25:45 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 7 May 2004, Seshubabu Pasam wrote:

> I stumbled on an issue. curl_domalloc ... functions take three arguments
> where as malloc takes one. There is a function signature mis-match.

Well, the memdebug system of today adds a layer to the standard memory
functions that perform logging to a file. These new functions all take source
and line as additional arguments, but they all call the "real" function later.

Adding support for memory callbacks wouldn't need to change how that works,
just that when building with memdebug we will track memory usage first, then
call the proper callback functions.

BTW, since replacing memory functions within the library needs to be done very
carefully at a very early stage to not risk having mixed calls, what would you
say about we adding the function curl_global_init_mem() that works exactly
like curl_global_init() but also allows the memory function callbacks to be
set? I think it would properly prevent users from trying to set them at later
time and thus cause havok.