Re: Safe free of IDNA memory

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 15:19:26 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 11 May 2004, Simon Josefsson wrote:

> Depends on your release schedule, I guess...

The plan says next release is in June. It isn't any major obstacle for us
anyway, I was just curious.

> You could consider testing for (and using) the IDN aware getaddrinfo API,
> too, unless you have more advanced IDN needs.

libcurl has indeed very simple IDN needs, and while such an API indeed sounds
interesting I don't think an IDN aware getaddrinfo API brings much goodness to
libcurl:

o we do asynchronous name resolves using c-ares, which has its own API and
  since we want that IDN-capable too, we'd still need to to IDN-magic on our
  own (or possibly add IDN-magic to c-ares)

o we also deal with proxies, and when asking for IDN-based URLs over a proxy,
  the IDN-name still needs to be encoded outside the name resolve call.

Does it require an existing and working getaddrinfo() already? libcurl runs on
numerous platforms that don't have that.