[ curl-Bugs-954038 ] Win2k: Abnormally High CPU Usage

From: SourceForge.net <noreply_at_sourceforge.net>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 08:38:52 -0700

Bugs item #954038, was opened at 2004-05-14 08:38
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=100976&aid=954038&group_id=976

Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
------------
This little code snippet is used to connect to an SSL
server at gatewaybeta.fedex.com to transfer XML
documents back and forth. The problem we're having is
that this segment will cause the php.exe in a windows
2000 multi-threaded enviroment to run at 99% to 100%
for a short burst (rougly 4 to 5 seconds). Especially if
the script runs at the same time, the server's resources
are exhausted right away! :( We've definitly narrowed
the execution time and CPU burst problem down to Curl
but not sure how to go about fixing it.

We've tried upgrading the libCurl library for PHP to the
newer version 7.11.2 but there are no compiled DLL's for
Windows servers. Any ideas?

Our Config:
stem Windows NT TESTCOT 5.0 build 2195
Build Date Apr 14 2004 17:17:11
Server API CGI/FastCGI
Virtual Directory Support enabled
PHP API 20020918
PHP Extension 20020429
Zend Extension 20021010
Debug Build no
Thread Safety enabled
Registered PHP Streams php, http, ftp, compress.zlib
CURL Information libcurl/7.10.5 OpenSSL/0.9.7b
zlib/1.1.4

Reproduce code:
---------------
$this->ch = curl_init ();
curl_setopt ($this->ch, CURLOPT_URL, "$this-
>postServ")
curl_setopt ($this->ch, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER,1);

curl_setopt ($this->ch, CURLOPT_TIMEOUT, 10);

curl_setopt ($this->ch, CURLOPT_CUSTOMREQUEST,
$req);
curl_setopt ($this->ch, CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYPEER, 0);

$result = curl_exec ($this->ch);
$err_nr = curl_errno($this->ch);
curl_close ($this->ch);

Expected result:
The code executes properly, but CPU usage is at 99%
to 100% for 4 to 5
seconds while CURL is executing.