Detecting that a retrieval was gzipped

From: Jeff Barr <jeff_at_vertexdev.com>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 23:49:12 -0700

Hi,

I am a long-time user and big fan of Curl, fetching 2+ GB per
day of RSS at www.syndic8.com .

I recently upgraded to Curl 7.11.2 and am currently doing some
experimentation with CURLOPT_ENCODING.

Is there any way for me to detect that a retrieval was actually
decompressed by Curl? I tried comparing the value retrieved by
CURLINFO_SIZE_DOWNLOAD against the value returned from the
curl_exec call (I am using RETURN_TRANSFER) but they are
always the same.

Intuitively, I was expecting CURLINFO_SIZE_DOWNLOAD to return
the physical number of bytes transferred, not the expanded
size?

Is the actual size available? Ultimately, I would like to be
able to compute the effective compression ratio for each
RSS feed.

Thanks,

Jeff;

----